Intramural Sports: Why Should You Attend?

Taken by Emma Seidenberg (Business Administration ’22).

Attending college in the midst of a pandemic hasn’t really left room for a lot of human interaction. We all want a little sense of camaraderie and competition. A great way to do this is to go to the gym at IDX and play some intramural sports. The intramural sports club, run by Champlain’s Student Engagement team, hosts different events Monday through Friday, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. These activities are a great way to have fun, make connections, and even have a little friendly competition with others. 

Aaron Leach (Cybersecurity ‘22), an employee of the Office of Student Engagement, discussed these weekly events and how they want a better turnout. He states, “Yeah, we don’t have a ton of attendance. But I think for the kids that do come down, I think it is a good time of the week that they can like meet other people and kind of blow off steam.” He explains that intramural sports are a great way to meet new people and that he has even seen a couple of friendships come out of these events. 

Leach also mentioned the sports available throughout the week, saying, “So Monday we have ping pong. Tuesday, we have floor hockey, Wednesdays, badminton, and Thursdays lawn games: lawn games, Jenga, cornhole. And then I know the rugby clubs practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays.” The intramural sports club puts in a lot of effort to make these events fun for everyone, so I encourage anyone to make the time if possible; it might even lead to a new friendship with someone.

I started going to this event when it started in February with friends from my hall. I have made new friends and have found a way to use my competitive spirit in a time when most intramural sports are not happening. I would highly recommend that everyone check out this event in the Argosy gym. 

I myself use competitive events to de-stress and relax. Especially with final projects and exams coming up, it is extremely important for every student to find time to support their mental wellbeing. People need to actually connect in a physical sense with one another.  A Stanford Medicine study paper released in 2017 revealed, “Social connection improves physical health and mental and emotional well-being.” Having people that you talk to online is great, but it’s not the same as talking to another student or faculty member in-person. The balance of mental and physical health is a real problem and these activities incentivize wellbeing. Do what is comfortable for you, but reaching out to someone or attending an event to connect with people can improve things that you are struggling with in your life.

When the pandemic first started I was really uncomfortable, because I am a people person and I like to be around and talk with other people such as friends and family for most of my day. I value my alone time as well, and I have found happiness within myself, but everyone has a social battery that charges up and or runs down. We are all human; we maintain connections as a form of survival. 

These intramural events and any other Champlain College events, whether virtual or in-person, are a great way to connect and engage with other people. You may also be entertained or have fun at an event. I really think that anyone who wants to get involved in any of these occasions should, because doing something that you like and having fun with other people might be what you need to put you back into a good headspace. These connections are exactly what life is all about.