A Message of Support

Updated 11/29/18 to include memorial details.

It is with great sadness that The Crossover shares the death of first-year student, Nova McGarry. Nova was from Pearl River, New York, and was studying within the Information Technology & Sciences Division. They loved Champlain, and had close relationships with professors and peers on campus.

Angela Batista, Vice President of Student Affairs, shared the news with students, faculty, and staff on November 26th. According to Batista’s email, Nova died as a result of suicide over the Thanksgiving Break.

The Crossover team wants to reiterate that counseling services are available to everyone 24/7. Students can reach the Champlain College helpline by calling (802) 865-5745 or the Howard Center Crisis Line at (802) 488-7777. Counselors are also available in Skiff Hall. For this week, The Counseling Center will be offering drop-in sessions from 9 am to 4 pm all week.

Champlain is a small community, and there are people here who care. Oftentimes, the things we face in life can seem daunting and unmanageable, but reaching out for help is not a sign of weakness or surrender. The Crossover team encourages all students to reach out to friends and family when needed, and to never be afraid to ask for support.

A celebration of life and candlelight vigil will be held in Nova’s honor on Monday, December 3, 2018 from 4-5pm. It will be held in Fireside Lounge.

Our heartfelt sympathies go out to Nova’s family and to everyone who is grieving the loss of such a bright and wonderful member of the Champlain community.